It seems like seasonal allergies have hit the Kansas City and Overland Park area pretty hard this year, especially with our crazy weather!
We all know the big seasonal allergy triggers in the Kansas City area – mold, pollen, dander and ozone are all common culprits when it comes to sneezes and sniffles. Fortunately, while we can’t professionally clean all the air in Overland Park, we can help professionally clean your home to help reduce allergens and help relieve your allergies.
Here are a few tips from Olathe’s professional house cleaners to help reduce allergens in your home.
- Go green. One of the best things about using natural and eco-friendly house cleaning products is that they don’t contain harsh additives that can harm your home’s air quality. Be aware that chemicals and fragrances within conventional cleaners can actually make your allergies worse.
- Vacuum. Vacuum regularly with a vacuum that had a HEPA filter.
- Reduce clutter. Dust and dust mites accumulate in piles of clutter. Reduce your clutter to reduce the allergens.
- Get rid of mold. Mold can cause all kinds of illness and allergies. Make sure that damp areas, such as your bathroom, kitchen, faucets, underneath sinks and basement area are free of mold and mildew. Remember to clean your shower curtain. Read the label – you may be able to simply toss it in the washing machine on delicate.
- Wash your sheets. Wash your sheets weekly in hot water to kill dust mites.
- Clean outside entryways. Sweep your front steps, paths into your home and the patio/deck area on a regular basis to reduce the dust and pollen that people track into the house. Better still, also remove your shoes when you come inside to reduce pollution that can be tracked in.
- Don’t shampoo carpets. Shampooing oftentimes leave residual moisture in the carpets. The leftover moisture can cause mold or increased dust mites.
- Use a damp cloth and mop when cleaning. This traps and collects allergens rather than just spreading them around in the air.
- Keep the air dry. Use a dehumidifier to reduce dampness, and clean it once a week.
- Keep pets out of the bedroom. Protect yourself from dander by not letting your pets sleep in your bed.
We hope that these professional house cleaning tips for homes in Olathe, Overland Park and Kansas City will help keep your sneezing and sniffling to a minimum this Spring!
Call Camille at (913) 207-8677 if your home is in need of serious spring cleaning. We’ll help kick the allergens to the curb so that you can start breathing easy!